Note: Shortened Review
The proposed project is a request consisting of the following elements:
A. "After The Fact" Demolition Permit to authorize demolition of nine historic cottages at the Paraiso Hot Springs Resort, November 2003 (to clear Code Violation Case CE030404/PLN040488};
B. Combined Development Permit consisting of:
1. Use Permit and General Development Plan to allow the phased redevelopment of the Resort, including the following:
a. 103 hotel units, restaurants, meeting and conference rooms, associated support
b. Hamlet consisting of a day spa, retail, artist studios, wine tasting and real estate
c. Spas and Fitness Center
d. Vineyard and Wine Pavilion
e. Water and wastewater facilities
f. Pedestrian and vehicular facilities
g. Appurtenant resort uses and facilities
2. Use Permit for the creation of 77 Timeshare units
3. Vesting Tentative Map (Condominium Map) for the creation of 60 airspace timeshare condominium units
4. Standard Subdivision (Vesting Tentative Map) to allow the merger and resubdivision of approximately 235 acres into 23 parcels
5. Use Permit for removal of 185 protected oak trees; and
6. Use Permit for development on slopes in excess of 30 percent.
C. Off-site road improvements on Paraiso Springs Road.
The project site is designated by the applicable General Plan, the 1982 Monterey County General Plan, and the 1987 Central Salinas Valley Area Plan, a part of the 1982 General Plan, as Commercial and Permanent Grazing. The project site is in the Visitor Serving/Professional Office and the Permanent Grazing, 40 acre minimum, Zoning Districts, consistent with its General Plan land use designation, and is consistent with the historic use of the site as a resort.