Parks and Recreation, Department of
(California Department of Parks and Recreation)
North Grove Day Use Area New Combination Building
NOE - Notice of Exemption
1. Construct a new 150 Series Combination Building (CB) at North Grove Day Use Area in Calaveras Big Trees State Park. The new CB will be mostly located in an existing parking lot to minimize grading, site disturbance and impacts to the existing drainage. Four young trees (dbh 12-24 inches) will be removed. One mature sugar pine on the edge of the parking lot to the NE will be left in place; structural roots will be avoided and there will be no grading or excavating within the dripline (~12-15' from the trunk of the tree).
2. Provide 5 accessible day use picnic sites in the day use area with (non-asphalt) ADA compliant path-of-travel to the new CB.
3. Modify campsites 65, 67, and 73 to provide the following fully ADA accessible features:
- Parking spurs, picnic tables, fire rings, and bear boxes.
- ADA compliant (stabilized soil) campsite surface.
- Modify paths of travel between ADA campsites and new combination building.
4. Utility work will be undertaken, including:
- Connect new CB to existing water and sewer systems.
- Extend electrical line from existing park facility, underground, to the new CB.
- Install propane system.
- Install minor exterior lighting at the new CB for visitor safety.
5. Create 4-6 accessible parking spaces at site of the new CB.
6. Retain existing historic-era flush toilets in North Grove Day Use Area.
Project consists of construction of a new, small public structure and associated utility extensions, ADA improvements in a public use area, and minor alterations in the condition of land and vegetation which does not involve removal of healthy, mature, scenic trees, included on DPR's list of exempt activities as "construction of restrooms," "modifications of existing facilities for handicap access," and "minor trenching and backfilling, where surface is restored," in accordance with CCR §15300.4.