The revised permit will consolidate the following permitted solid waste facilities: (1) the City of Bakersfield Material Processing Facility, Standardized Composting Permit, facility number 15-AA-0311; (2) the Mt. Vernon Temporary Windrow Facility, Registration Permit, facility number 15-AA-0365; and (3) the Mt. Vernon Metropolitan Recycling Center, Registration Permit, facility number 15-AA-0366. The three facilities comprised an area of 60 acres. The new permit will increase this area to 97 acres. The consolidated facilities will serve as the principal construction and demolition debris and green material diversion facility for the City of Bakersfield and the unincorporated areas of Kern County.
The revised permit for the Mount Vernon Avenue Recycling and Composting Facility includes the following:
1. Hours of operation are 7am to 4pm sevens days per week.
2. Permitted traffic volume of 1134 vehicles per day; 1034 inbound and 100 outbound.
3. Permitted maximum daily tonnage is 575 tons of construction and demolition material, concrete, and street sweepings; and 976 tons of greenwaste, brush and wood material, grass, and food waste.
4. Total of 97 acres permitted, 15 acres for transfer/processing operations and 82 acres for compostable material handling.
5. Design capacity of 139,433 tons of which 54,650 tons are dedicated to transfer/processing operations and 84,783 tons for composting operations.
6. Organic component includes curbside green waste, grass clippings, food and paper waste.
7. The facility will use the windrow composting process.