Beale Air Force Base, Closure Plan for Central Storage Facility (Building 539)
- SCH Number
- Public Agency
- Department of Toxic Substances Control
- Document Title
- Beale Air Force Base, Closure Plan for Central Storage Facility (Building 539)
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- The Closure Plan for the Central Storage Facility (CSF) operations identifies the steps necessary to formally close the involved hazardous waste management units per federal and state regulations. Operations at the CSF included waste storage in drums and containers. The CSF is 60 feet (north to south) by 120 feet (east to west) housing two banks of fire-rated storage modules. The north bank is composed of six 20-foot by 24-foot modules and one 19.33-foot by 24-foot staging area. The maximum capacity of the modules ranges from, 3,900 to 5,800 gallons. A load/unload deck is located in front of the building. There are no permanent ancillary equipment associated with storage or handling of hazardous waste. The eleven storage modules are constructed with an integral containment system consisting of a 0.5-foot vertical containment wall surrounding a monolithic concrete slab. All surfaces, including the containment structure, are coated with epoxy resin primer and top coating. A spill containment sump is used to collect any discharges from the load/unload deck. Areas requiring decontamination are epoxy coated floors, 0.5-foot vertical containment walls within each storage module and the spill containment sump. The Closure Plan proposes to decontaminate those areas. The decontamination will be performed by steam cleaning the module floors and containment structures by means of a 3,000 psi small tip nozzle. The spill containment sump will be cleaned by pressure washing of the side and the bottom. After completion of closure, the facility will be used as a 90 day hazardous waste storage facility.
- Contact Information
Department of Toxic Substances Control
800 Cal Center Drive
Sacramento, CA 95826
Phone : (916) 255-3611
- Other Location Info
- Location: Beale Air Force Base, California
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Type, Section or Code
- Title 14, Section 15061(b)(3)
- Reasons for Exemption
- With certainty, no possibility that the activity in question might have a significant effect on the environment.
Disclaimer: The document was originally posted before CEQAnet had the capability to host attachments for the public. To obtain the original attachments for this document, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (916) 445-0613.