MEU-Acorn Grove Prescribed Burn


SCH Number
Public Agency
California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE)
Document Title
MEU-Acorn Grove Prescribed Burn
Document Type
NOE - Notice of Exemption
Document Description
The Acorn Grove Prescribed Burn is located on the Jackson Demonstration State Forest (JDSF). The project area is located in SW¼ NE¼ of Section 1, T17N R16W MDB&M, northeast of McGuires Pond in Mendocino County CA. The site encompasses five acres and is dominated by mature tanoaks and some redwoods and Douglas fir trees. The understory is relatively open and comprised of tanoak sprouts and other minor brush species. Broadcast burning and hand work will be used to remove leaf litter, forest slash, areas of shrub accumulation, and downed materials. Reoccurrence of burning is expected annually and will be based on the necessary interval to promote healthy tanoak forest and facilitate gathering or harvesting of non-commercial forest products. Piles (less than 4ft x 4ft x 4ft) may be constructed away from residual tree driplines to facilitate removal of fuel accumulation. Incidental trees less than 12” at DBH may be felled and or/ removed as necessary to further promote a healthy tanoak site. The trees may be lopped-and-scattered across the burn unit or piled to be burned concurrently with the associated prescribed fire entry. All work is to be done manually with hand tools or handheld power tools to maintain the project area as needed for successful broadcast burn actions. Approximately 90% of the project area is bordered by native surface roads: Forest Roads 310, 310A, and 310A2 which will serve as fire control lines. JDSF maintains their current road network under their approved Road Management Plan. The remaining 10% (or approximately 150 ft) of the project boundary will be constructed with handline or wet-line depending on fire apparatus availability and Burn Boss discretion at the time of ignition. Brush removal for line control is not expected, however minor manual work with hand tools and chainsaws may be necessary.

Contact Information

Jason Serna
Agency Name
California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection
Job Title
Forester II
Contact Types
Lead/Public Agency


Total Acres
State Highways
Highway 20
Other Location Info
In Jackson Demonstration State Forest approx. 1 mile northeast of McGuires Pond

Notice of Exemption

Exempt Status
Categorical Exemption
Type, Section or Code
Class 4 §15304 Minor Alterations to Land
Reasons for Exemption
This project fits under the Categorical Exemptions to CEQA: Class 4 (Minor Alterations to Land). Field review by CAL FIRE staff confirmed that no exceptions apply (Section 15300.2) which would preclude the use of a Notice of Exemption for this project. The Department has concluded that no significant environmental impact would occur to aesthetics, agriculture and forestland/timberland, air quality, biological resources, cultural resources, energy, geology and soils, greenhouse gas emissions, hazards and hazardous materials, hydrology and water quality, land use planning, mineral resources, noise, population and housing, public services, recreation, transportation/traffic, utilities and service systems, or wildfire. Documentation of the environmental review completed by the Department is kept on file at JDSF (802 N Main St., Ft. Bragg, CA 95437)


Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents. To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at or via phone at (916) 445-0613. For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.

Download CSV New Search Print