Varner Harbor Leaning Light Post Repairs
- SCH Number
- Public Agency
- California Department of Parks and Recreation
- Document Title
- Varner Harbor Leaning Light Post Repairs
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- The purpose of this project is to secure a historical light post that is leaning and currently poses a safety risk. Heavy equipment will be used to hold the pole in place so it can be unbolted and removed. The total visible length of the pole is approximately 30’ tall and the current concrete support is approximately 16” round x 6’ long. The existing base will be demolished using heavy equipment, such as a backhoe. The heavy equipment would then be used to excavate a 5’ diameter x 5’ deep hole around the post. A building form tube would be placed in the ground to approximately 3’ depth, then surrounded by mesh wire. The area outside of the tube would be backfilled with spoils. Once the surrounding area is backfilled, concrete would be poured around the tube and 7/8” x 12’ all-thread anchor bolts would be installed in the concrete base to support the pole. The pole would be re-installed and bolted on the new foundation. Remaining spoils would be scattered around the project vicinity, with approval from the District Archaeologist. Measures to be implemented to avoid impact may be obtained from the contact below.
- Contact Information
California State Parks, Ocotillo Wells District
5172 Highway 78, #10
Borrego Springs, CA 92004
Phone : (760) 767-1084
- Other Information
- Varner Harbor, located near the Salton Sea State Recreation Area visitor center in Mecca, CA.
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- Class 1, Section 15301
- Reasons for Exemption
- No potential for significant impact to the environment is anticipated in compliance with CEQA §15300.4. If the project is implemented as indicated within the CDPR Project Evaluation Form, then it is exempt under CEQA §15301 – Existing Facilities.. The action falls under the Departmental List of Exempt activities according to CEQA §15300.4 as: building (non-historical) or fence repairs (Class 1, §15301).
- Notice of Exemption
- NOE Varner Harbor Leaning Light Post PDF 140 K
Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents. To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at email@example.com or via phone at (916) 445-0613. For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.