Geotechnical Evaluation for Bridge Construction (Lake or Streambed Alteration Agreement No. 1600-2020-0214-R1)
- SCH Number
- Public Agency
- California Department of Fish and Wildlife, Northern and Eureka Region 1 (CDFW)
- Document Title
- Geotechnical Evaluation for Bridge Construction (Lake or Streambed Alteration Agreement No. 1600-2020-0214-R1)
- Document Type
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- Document Description
- The California Department of Fish and Wildlife has executed Lake and Streambed Alteration Agreement number 1600-2020-0214-R1, pursuant to Section 1602 of the Fish and Game Code to MGE Engineering, represented by Martin McIlroy. The project is limited to a geotechnical survey within the historic channel of Nelson Creek. A total of three holes will be drilled within the historic channel. Two of the borings will be drilled as close to the future south bridge support location and will be drilled through cobble and boulders to a depth of 65-feet. The third hole will be a shallow bore to collect soil samples used for hydraulic analyses. The driller will use a combination of hollow auger and mud rotary drilling and casings will be used below the channel bottom for a closed circulation system. The closed circulation system will contain and re-circulate drill fluids while drilling withing the channel. Bore holes will be back filled with neat cement grout according to State and County Environmental Health requirements; however, a minimum of the top 10% of the hole shall be backfilled with native gravels and no grout.
- Contact Information
Department of Fish and Wildlife Northern Region
601 Locust Street
Redding, CA 96001
Phone : (531) 225-2239
- Other Location Info
- The project is located at Nelson Creek, tributary to the Pit River near the community of Big Bend, in the County of Shasta, State of California; Latitude 41.026673°, Longitude -121.901578°; Section 31, Township 37N, Range 1E, Mt. Diablo Base and Meridian in the U.S. Geological Survey Big Bend 7.5-minute quadrangle map.
Notice of Exemption
- Exempt Status
- Categorical Exemption
- Type, Section or Code
- Type – Class 4; California Code of Regulations, title 14, section 15304
- Reasons for Exemption
- The project is limited to accessing the stream channel in order to drill holes needed for geotechnical surveys to guide bridge engineering. Borings will be drilled 65 feet below the ground surface using casings to contain and recirculate drilling fluid. The project is proposed to be conducted when this historic stream channel is dry and during the drier part of the year. No work or equipment access is proposed within the wetted channel. There would be no significant adverse impact on endangered, rare, or threatened species or their habitat pursuant to California Code of Regulations, title 14, section 15065.
- Notice of Exemption
- 2020080099_1600-2020-0214-R1_SHA_Nelson_Creek_Geotech_Eval_NOE PDF 262 K
Disclaimer: The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) accepts no responsibility for the content or accessibility of these documents. To obtain an attachment in a different format, please contact the lead agency at the contact information listed above. You may also contact the OPR via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (916) 445-0613. For more information, please visit OPR’s Accessibility Site.